A partial hospitalization program is designed to be a form of outpatient treatment. Thus, PHPs provide intensive care for patients who are struggling with addiction and mental health issues without requiring them to reside in treatment facilities. A PHP program is designed to work with patients who require a higher level of care than standard outpatient services can provide.
Partial hospitalization programs offer more time in treatment than standard outpatient programs. Thus, PHPs are highly effective in treating substance addictions along with any of their co-occurring mental health issues.
Partial hospitalization program patients must receive treatment at a recovery center for a minimum of approximately 3 to 5 days a week, 4 to 6 hours a day while still residing at home. This makes a hospitalization program that’s partial more intensive than a standard outpatient program, which only meets once or twice a week.
A partial hospitalization program is often used as a step-down service once a patient has completed an inpatient program. Partial hospitalization programs are best for individuals who don’t require 24-hour supervision but would still benefit from a high level of support.
Individuals in a hospitalization program that’s partial participate in a variety of evidence-based therapies. Individuals in PHP treatment are also medically monitored during their time and treatment.
The mission of a partial hospitalization program is to provide comprehensive care for individuals with substance abuse and any co-occurring mental health issues. Partial hospitalization programs also aim to give rehab patients the ability to live their lives in the real world during the period of time that they’re receiving treatment.
Jump to Section
Partial Hospitalization Services
Before partial hospitalization program (PHP) treatment begins, medical staff will conduct an intake evaluation on any incoming patient. This intake evaluation is then used to develop an individualized treatment plan. This individualized treatment plan is based on the incoming rehab patient’s addiction and mental health condition.
Individuals in a hospitalization program that’s partial participate in comprehensive recovery programs. In these comprehensive recovery programs, rehab patients work closely with many different treatment specialists. Examples of such treatment specialists include nurses, social workers, doctors, therapists, and psychiatrists.
Listed below are some of the typical services offered within partial hospitalization program treatment:
- Detox: Most partial hospitalization programs have physicians that are always available. Such physicians provide rehab patients with medications while they detox from alcohol or drugs before treatment. PHPs that offer detox prior to treatment will generally only treat patients experiencing mild to moderate withdrawal symptoms though. This is because the patients with severe or life-threatening withdrawal symptoms require supervision and pharmaceutical support provided by a detox facility before enrolling in a PHP for further treatment.
- Medical services: Doctors and nurses are also in-house during PHP treatment. Such PHP doctors and nurses administer withdrawal medications to patients and treat any of their physical complications from substance abuse.
- Medication management: When combined with behavioral therapy, medication management helps to promote abstinent behaviors. Medication management does so by decreasing the cravings of patients and blocking the reward effects of drugs and alcohol. It also does so by managing withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety and insomnia.
Additional Partial Hospitalization Program Services
- Individual therapy: During individual therapy within a partial hospitalization program, patients meet with their therapists or addiction counselors one-on-one. While rehab patients do this they maintain their abstinence and work out their unhealthy behaviors.
- Group counseling: The group counseling sessions within a partial hospitalization program focus on one specific topic. They also are facilitated by certified mental health professionals. Examples of PHP group counseling session topics include religious beliefs, educational groups, coping skills, life skills, stress management, recreational activities and team building, therapy, and family education.
- Aftercare planning: During aftercare planning at the end of a partial hospitalization program, the treatment team prepares patients for discharge. Aftercare planning within a PHP can consist of relapse prevention tactics. Examples of such relapse prevention tactics include support groups, 12-step programs, group or individual counseling, and sober living home arrangements.
- Holistic treatments: Some PHPs will offer patients holistic treatments. This is dependent on the rehab facility that a person is receiving partial hospitalization program treatment at. Examples of the holistic treatments that PHPs may offer include meditation, yoga, equine therapy, fitness classes, nutrition, and art and music therapy.
Most partial hospitalization programs are equipped to treat patients with dual diagnoses. Thus, if you or somebody you love has been diagnosed with a mental health condition along with a drug or alcohol use disorder, our treatment specialists here at Harmony Ridge can provide you with PHP treatment that can help you achieve recovery. Just check to see if your health care pays for such PHP treatment.
Treatment Programs That Promote “Whole” Healing
Successful recovery from any substance addiction and mental health issue requires a medical, psychosocial, and holistic approach to treatment.
Rehab patients who are most successful In becoming and staying sober participate and engage in:
- Group therapy five days a week
- Individual treatment once a week
- Family therapy sessions once a week
Our rehab patients here at Harmony Ridge take part in recovery support activities in the community. These activities promote each of our patient’s overall healing and long-term recovery success. They do so by demonstrating how recovery is possible in everyday life situations.
Treating each individual rehab patient as a whole person requires the encouragement of emotional, mental health, and physical wellness.
During the partial hospitalization program addiction treatment process, individuals will expect program-specific clinical groups such as:
- Mindfulness-based relapse prevention training
- Yoga, meditation, and cranial sacral
- Expressive arts therapy
When combined, the programs listed above promote a complete healing process. As our patients here at Harmony Ridge prepare to leave rehab facilities, the mission is still to ensure that recovery continues in their everyday lives.
Group Therapy in a Partial Hospitalization Program
Sharing your thoughts with strangers can be daunting, but our PHP group therapy sessions here at Harmony Ridge are entirely confidential. Furthermore, our group therapy sessions are judgment-free zones.
PHP group therapy members here at Harmony Ridge come with their fears and insecurities. Because group therapy members are amongst people with similar addiction and mental health issues, most participants share similar and relatable struggles. Each group therapy session within a partial hospitalization program will incorporate both process groups and educational presentations.
The mission of group therapy is to give patients the opportunity to develop positive coping skills. That way they can manage their addiction and mental health issue triggers while in recovery. Group therapy also encourages effective decision-making. The goals of group therapy support lifelong recovery long after any addiction treatment program is completed.
Some group therapy topics that are discussed within a partial hospitalization program include:
- Healthy lifestyle choices
- Relapse prevention
- Financial planning
Individual Therapy Sessions Within a Partial Hospitalization Program
Here at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center, our mission is to provide each patient with the most individualized level of care possible. To achieve this mission, our partial hospitalization programs offer individual therapy.
PHP individual therapy sessions meet at least once a week. This time allows partial hospitalization program patients to confide in trusted counselors. PHP patients may confide in counselors about the discussions they’ve had with the group during group therapy, what led them to develop their substance use disorders and any of their thoughts that may have had negative effects on their mental health.
PHP individual counseling sessions are vital. This is because they offer partial hospitalization program patients the opportunity to develop and amend their personalized treatment goals. PHP individual therapy sessions here at Harmony Ridge also provide patients with the time to discuss specific clinical and lifestyle issues that they might be experiencing that might have enhanced their addictive behaviors and mental health issues.
Family Support Groups in a Partial Hospitalization Program
Family support group sessions are much like group therapy sessions but with only the members of one family involved. PHP treatment family group therapy sessions aim to educate family members of rehab patients on addiction.
Family group therapy sessions within PHP treatment also show family members of rehab patients how they may have contributed to the development of their loved ones’ addictions along with what they can do to change those toxic behaviors. Family group therapy during PHP treatment even teaches family members of rehab patients how they can show support to their loved ones that are suffering from addiction and mental health issues.
Thus, family group therapy sessions promote support for individuals that are recovering from addiction and mental health issues while also being educational and process-oriented.
The Difference Between PHP, Inpatient, And Intensive Outpatient Programs
Inpatient treatment requires rehab patients to live in residential facilities while receiving 24-hour care and support. A majority of an inpatient rehab patient’s day is spent in treatment sessions to provide him or her with the most comprehensive care.
Partial hospitalization programs and intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) both offer in-depth treatment for substance use, behavioral, and mental health issues. The main difference between in-depth outpatient program rehabs such as PHPs and IOPs and inpatient program rehab is that the in-depth outpatient program rehab allows patients to spend their days and nights at home in between treatment sessions. Thus, the amount of time that PHP and IOP patients spend in treatment differs from that of inpatient rehab patients.
Intensive outpatient programs don’t consume as much time as partial hospitalization programs do. In fact, the time that rehab patients spend in intensive outpatient program treatment is only approximately 2 to 4 hours a day, 3 to 4 days a week.
This is much less than the approximate 4 to 6 hours per day, 3 to 5 days per week that PHP patients must spend in treatment. As a result, it’s easier for IOP patients to schedule treatment around work, school, and other obligations than it is for PHP patients.
Typically, medical professionals will assess how long rehab patients need to be in treatment based on several factors. Examples of such factors include the severity of people’s addictions and any of their co-occurring mental health issues. A standard partial hospitalization program lasts anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.
Who Should Participate in a Partial Hospitalization Program?
Some individuals are more likely than others to benefit from a partial hospitalization program. In general, PHP is best for individuals who:
- Have stable housing and transportation
- Have a strong support system at home
- Require close medical supervision
- Need more support than outpatient programs provide
- Have continual problems with work or school performance
Who will Benefit From A Partial Hospitalization Program?
A hospitalization program that’s partial is a level up from an intensive outpatient program. It’s also a level down from inpatient care or residential treatment programs. Thus, people often use PHPs to help them transition back to healthy lifestyles after inpatient care.
Short-term residential programs lay the foundation for recovery. Yet, they usually don’t provide enough time to heal completely. Partial hospitalization programs can build on what was learned in residential treatment though and continue the recovery process.
Some individuals may choose to attend a partial hospitalization program because it allows them to live at home during the time that they’re receiving addiction and mental health treatment. An individual may also enter into a partial hospitalization program if his or her addiction and mental health issues are too severe for IOP therapy. If a rehab patient has a stable home environment and a supportive family, he or she is a good partial hospitalization program candidate.
Who won’t Benefit From A Partial Hospitalization Program?
A patient’s life at home can play a significant role in the success of his or her treatment. Patients with unstable home lives and harmful support systems can usually benefit greatly from inpatient care rather than outpatient forms of treatment such as PHP therapy.
Patients who need more personalized care tend to experience the following:
- Being victims of trauma or abuse
- Being around family members with substance abuse and/or mental health issues
- Experiencing co-occurring disorders
- Experiencing relapses
- Lacking healthy support systems beyond treatment
A partial hospitalization program utilizes most of the same addiction and mental health therapies as inpatient care. The technical amount of care and supervision in a PHP is much less than that of inpatient treatment though. This is because PHP therapy is for people who want intensive care that is less hands-on and around-the-clock than what inpatient therapy provides.
Find The Best Treatment For Addiction For You
A significant benefit of starting rehab with inpatient treatment is the supportive environment that inpatient therapy offers. The most successful residential treatment plans are customized to the patient and implemented in a long-term treatment program. This is because such individualized and long-term treatment helps rehab patients make full recoveries.
A partial hospitalization program is most successful when it’s a step-down from residential treatment. This is because using PHP treatment as a step-down from inpatient or residential treatment helps individuals in recovery better transition into regular life after treatment.
To learn more about addiction treatment options, contact one of our specialists here at Harmony Ridge today. You can also contact us if you want to know if we accept health care coverage from your insurance.